Mouth-watering food does not necessarily mean healthy or nutritious and that adjective has long plagued even the best fast food or casual dining joints. Shareable good old American food that TGI Fridays offers its customers has always been craved. Yet TGI Fridays goes under the same radar that similarly-themed restaurants have gone through with some notable exceptions.
TGI Fridays launched the “Right Portion, Right Price” option with menu items that are all under 750 calories and even less. Appetizers have, in fact, been pegged at half prices late in the evening and after work hours so that more office workers can enjoy them. Some of the bestsellers of this casual dining restaurant and bar include:
- Dragonfire Salmon: this salmon entrée is fire-grilled, topped with Kung Pao sauce, and served with ginger lime slaw, steamed broccoli, mandarin oranges, and pineapple-infused pico de gallo.
- Balsamic Glazed Chicken Caesar: a most diet-friendly option with crisp greens, previously marinated chicken, focaccia croutons, balsamic glaze drizzle, Parmesan cheese, and grape tomatoes tossed with tangy Caesar vinaigrette.
- Spinach Florentine Flatbread: oven-baked to crispness perfection, this one is packed with artichokes, fresh tomatoes, basil, and spinach, of course. Enough said.
- Sirloin Steak: surprise, surprise, this one has only 370 calories, an unbelievable figure for prime quality beef. Broccoli and ginger lime slaw complete this delicious and value for money meal. Remember: no mayo or dressing for the slaw and no sides with butter.
- Chicken Noodle Soup: with only 250 calories, this broth can help you consume fewer calories since it can fill you up quite nicely. You may want to ask your server to cut back the sodium since this has 1,240 milligrams of it. If this isn’t possible, you cut back on your sodium intake.
- Jack Daniel’s Chicken and Shrimp: without the sides, this sweetish dish is 570 calories. Because of the high sodium content, however, the wise decision is to skip the fries or mashed potatoes
You need a survival guide, however, when you go to TGI Fridays because the aroma of giant hamburgers and enticing potato skins might get to you and completely make you forget your diet. The food items listed below can help you stay on track and enjoy the great options available without having to cheat on your calorie counting.
Do Order These:
- Broccoli is 50 calories with 0.5 grams fat.
- Ginger Lime Slaw has 120 calories and ten grams fat.
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad is 90 calories with six grams fat.
- Fresh Vegetable Medley has 110 calories and nine grams fat.
Skip These By All Means:
- Parmesan Steak Fries have 660 calories of which 49 grams are fat.
- Jasmine Rice Pilaf with 420 calories has 11 grams fat.
- Seasoned Fries with 290 calories of which 22 grams are fat.
- Mashed Potatoes have ten grams fat and 210 calories per serving.
- Sweet Potato Fries have 20 grams of fat and clock in at 390 calories.
- Classic Wedge Salad: 59 grams fat in 620 calories.
- Sedona Black Bean Burger: meatless yes, low calorie, no at 1,160 calories. Additionally, this one has more calories than a cheeseburger and as much fat at 71 grams!
- Hibachi Chicken Skewers: 49 grams fat in – hold your breath now — 1,330 calories!
- Chipotle Yucatan Chicken Salad: 850 calories with 59 grams fat.
- Tomato Basil Soup: how in the world can a soup made of tomatoes be 300 calories and have 24 grams of fat?
- Jack Daniel’s Ribs and Shrimp: even lean shrimp will not save this catastrophe of 1,770 calories, 80 grams fat, and 4,220 milligrams of sodium. Need anything else be said about this heart attack waiting to happen?
Although TGI Fridays does not provide nutritional information on their website of the food items on their menu, we do know that the joint is more known for their Jack Daniel-infused barbecues. Customize your meal when you order by wisely choosing the items off the menu. Here are some tips on how you can do that easily before heading out to TGI Fridays:
- Start any meal with a salad without a dressing or, if that’s not possible for you, with fat-free or light dressing.
- Undoubtedly, the selections in the “Right Portion, Right Prices Menu” are your best bets but only if you choose meats and seafood which are broiled or grilled and are not coated in batter like the Shrimp Key West.
- One of the better salads is the Strawberry Fields Salad or the Mediterranean Salad, both with chicken. Ditch the croutons and the cheese and toss it with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Should cheese be included in your meal, ask the server to just put in half the amount of what would be the regular portion to reduce the fat and calories.
- The healthiest among side items are side salads, baked potatoes, and steamed vegetables. Be cautious about adding butter, salt, and any other condiment on any of these items since those additions can jack up the calories.