The term used to describe food with unlimited health benefits is superfood. According to Cancer Research in the UK, superfoods have the ability to prevent or even cure diseases, including cancer. Some foods are teeming with nutrients, aside from their low caloric content; they also contain some extraordinary biologically active ingredients with powerful health benefits. Foods from the ocean are some of the best superfoods around because of their rich nutritional content.
Affordable, tasty and easy to prepare, seafood contains a wide array of vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids. Several types of seafood have at least 25% of the recommended daily intake of nutrients essential for adults.
Here are a few examples:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for healthy brain and heart. Two crucial fats, EPA and DHA are primarily found in certain fish like the Atlantic salmon, rainbow trout and Australian salmon. Your body needs fatty acids to function; fish offers some astounding health benefits.
- Calcium is good for the bones and teeth. It is also excellent for colon cancer and obesity prevention. From birth till death, calcium is needed. After birth, calcium helps babies for proper bone and tooth growth and during adolescence, calcium is again essential to support growth. Finally, your bones tend to become weak and porous when you get older, so you need more calcium intake. Avoid calcium deficiency by eating fish like the Australian salmon, tinned sardines and oysters.
- Iodine, for metabolism, is an essential trace element that is vital for normal growth and development. Around 60% of the iodine in the human body is stored in the thyroid gland. In fact, without iodine, thyroid hormones could not even be synthesized. Scallops, oysters and mussels are rich in iodine.
- Vitamin D is important for the regulation of calcium and phosphorus absorption, maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. It is also a protection against multiple diseases and conditions such as cancer, type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis. Eat Atlantic salmon, tilapia and silver perch for your Vit. D supply.
- Iron helps metabolize proteins and plays a role in the production of hemoglobin and red blood cells. Iron deficiency results to anemia, chronic anemia, cough, and pre-dialysis anemia. Iron eradicates different causes of fatigue. Mussels, oysters and tinned sardines are best sources of iron.
- Vitamin B12 boosts your energy, levels of concentration, memory, and mood. Get it from tuna, mussels and tinned sardines
- Zinc is used for the treatment and prevention of zinc deficiency. It prevents stunted growth and acute diarrhea in children and promotes healing of wound. Include oysters, crab and lobster in your menu for your zinc requirements.
- Protein improves brain function and aids blood pressure, cardiovascular health, disease prevention, sleep, and longevity. Yellow fin tuna, rainbow trout and barramundi are rich in protein.
- Selenium is an antioxidant. It has essential trace minerals which are important for cognitive function, a healthy immune system and fertility for both men and women. Selenium is found in a variety of sea food as yellow eye mullet, tuna, and gem fish.
The Best Seafood Restaurants Around
The best fish menus can be found in restaurants specializing in sea food. Among the highly recommended restaurants is Bonefish Grill which is an American casual dining seafood restaurant chain, owned and operated by Bloomin’ Brands with their headquarters in Tampa, Florida. Try their specialty Ahi Tuna Sashimi, a primary grade sushi with rare sesame-seared wasabi with pickled ginger or their mouth-watering Oysters Raw on the half shell or baked ala Rockefeller style. Mussels Josephine® with basil, garlic, red onion and tomatoes served with lemon wine sauce that is not only delicious but also nutritious.
You might also want to dine at Legal Sea Foods, a restaurant chain for upscale casual-dining seafood restaurants with locations in seven Eastern states and the District of Columbia. Their reputation for serving outstanding seafood has spanned over six decades. They serve 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish throughout the year. Their menu includes signature dishes and new favorites; as well as seasonal features. You can schedule a delivery online and enjoy an outstanding gourmet seafood dinner at home or give as a gift delivered to their door.
Sufficient amount of protein is needed in your diet and you rely mostly in chicken meat or veggies. Why not try seafood? While it might cost more than other sources of protein, it has tons of health benefits, and it’s delicious, too! So, go ahead and cook your favorite seafood recipes or treat yourself to some cozy seafood restaurants. As far back in history, humans have been eating seafood, both from fresh water streams and the ocean. There are even some cultures that rely very heavily on fish in order to survive even until today. Fish has never really lost favor and it remains a good and reliable healthy food source.